Festive cocktails and holiday bar essentials
Dave Mitton, The Harbord Room
Published Monday, December 10, 2012 8:03AM EST
Last Updated Monday, December 10, 2012 8:17AM EST
Mistress for Christmas
- 1 oz Luksusowa vodka
- 1 oz Chai/ginger/ infused sweet vermouth
- 1 oz Pinot Noir
- ¾ oz Cinnamon infused honey syrup
- 3 Dashes of blood orange bitters
- Garnish: Cinnamon stick
- Place all ingredients in a shaker with ice and stir
- Strain intan old fashioned glass over one large ice cube
- Use a cinnamon stick for garnish and stirring
Fairytale of New York
- 2 oz Appleton Estate Reserve Jamaica Rum
- 1 Zest of orange
- ¾ oz Winter warmth syrup*
- 2 Dashes of cinnamon/walnut bitters
- Garnish: Flamed orange zest **
- Place the zest of orange in the bottom of a mixing glass and pour in the syrup.
- Muddle together
- Pour in rum and add ice. Stir until well blended and chilled
- Strain over one big cube in an old fashioned glass.
- *Winter Warmth Syrup
- 1½ cup Water
- 1 cup Raw sugar
- 12 Walnuts
- 3 Cinnamon sticks (broken up)
- 6 Cloves
- 1 Whole nutmeg
- Half an apple peeled and diced
- Half a pear peeled and diced
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring ta simmer,
- stirring until the sugar dissolves. Continue simmering for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool. Strain through a sieve remove all fruit, nuts
- and spices. Transfer in a bottle and refrigerate for up two weeks.
**Flamed Orange Zest
- Flame an orange zest, cut an oval-shaped piece of orange rind, approximately 1 by 1-1/2 inches, leaving a ring of about 1/4" of zest around the circumference of the peel, with the white pith in the middle.
- Hold the peel gently by the edges, lightly graze the rind with a flame from a match loosen the oil's.
- Hold the match between the peel and the drink, slightly closer tthe peel. In one motion squeeze the peel that a spray of orange oil cascades over the lit match and ignites and falls int the drink.