Top holiday book picks for 2012
Published Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:04AM EST
Last Updated Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:06AM EST
Books make wonderfully, affordable and thoughtful gifts and whoever you are buying for, there's something for everyone. Heather Reisman of Indigo Books and Music reveals her annual list of fine reads.
- Sutton, J.R. Moehringer - the vivid retelling of notorious bank robber Willie Sutton's life that blends fact and fiction in a poignant, comedic, fast-paced story from the Pulitzer Prize winning author, J.R. Moehringer
- Inside, Alix Ohlin - we follow four compelling characters each with a consciousness utterly distinct and convincing from Montreal and New York to Hollywood and Rwanda. Inside poignantly explores the manifold dangers and imperatives of making ourselves available and responsible for those dearest to us.
- The Light Between Oceans, M.L. Stedman - we are swept into a story about extraordinary compelling characters seeking to find their North Star in a world where there is no right answer and where justice for one person is another's tragic loss.
- I'm Your Man: The Life of Leonard Cohen, Sylvie Simmons - Cohen is notoriously private and has granted few interviews himself. I'm Your Man is thoroughly researched and thoughtful, penetrating and lively, fascinating and revealing of stories and fact never read before. The biography offers new perspectives on Cohen and his life.
Coffee table/cook book:
- Steve McCurry: The Iconic Photographs, Steve McCurry - American photographer Steve McCurry is universally recognized as one of today's finest image-makers and has won many of photography's top awards. Portraits of children, pilgrims and farmers are presented alongside views of ancient temples, busy city streets, dramatic mountain landscapes.
- Kobo Arc - The latest Kobo Arc tablet puts the world at your fingertips. Watch. Read. Listen. Play. It features a 7-inch 1200x800 colour touchscreen that is powered by a customized Android 4.0 operating system and works flawlessly with Kobo eBooks.
- Kobo Glo - Read clearly day or night. Exclusive ComfortLight technology offers even, natural lighting that is fully adjustable to get the right light for you with Kobo Glo. The 6” E Ink screen has no-glass and no-glare - even in direct sunlight.
- Kobo Mini - Small is Big! Get the lightest, most compact and full featured 5” E Ink reader for the ultimate in portability and perfect for convenient reading on the go.
- Llama Llama Red Pajama, Anna Dewdney - In this infectious rhyming read-aloud story, Baby Llama turns bedtime into an all-out llama drama!
- Wild About Books, Judy Sierra - In this rollicking rhymed story, Molly introduces birds and beasts to this new something called reading. Judy Sierra's funny animal tale coupled with Marc Brown's lush, fanciful paintings will have the same effect on young Homo sapiens.
TWEEN / TEEN:
- Wonder, R.J. Palacio - In a world where bullying among young people is an epidemic, this is a refreshing new narrative full of heart and hope. Every reader will come away with a greater appreciation for the simple courage of friendship. Auggie is a hero to root for, a diamond in the rough who proves that you can't blend in when you were born to stand out.
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid 7: Third Wheel, Jeff Kinney - A Valentine's Day dance at Greg's middle school has turned his world upside down. An unexpected twist gives Greg a partner for the dance and leaves Rowley the odd man out. But a lot can happen in one night, and in the end, you never know who's going to be lucky in love.
Interesting Kids Coffee-Table esque:
- Stella: A Treasury, Marie Louise Gay - Published more than 10 years ago, it was an immediate hit and since then she has written and illustrated four more books featuring the engaging, red-headed heroine Stella, and her little brother, Sam.
- The Fault in Our Stars, John Green: an insightful, bold, heartbreaking novel from award-winning and bestselling YA author
- LeapPad 2 Explorer - Introducing LeapPad Explorer, the personalized learning tablet just for kids with a built-in camera and video recorder. LeapPad offers limitless learning and endless play through a library of 100+ cartridge games and activities with innovative creativity and reading apps! $109.95
- Furby - a personal favourite of Heather's -- a must-mentyion: the classic Furby is back and ready to take the world by storm! Feed it, speak to it, tickle it, play music for it and shake, tilt or turn your Furby upside down. $69.95