Sept. 20, 2012: Carl’s Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich
Published Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:58AM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:08PM EDT
Chef Carl Heinrich dished about the fifth annual Savour Stratford Perth County Culinary Festival on CTV's Canada AM on Thursday, and whipped up the ultimate breakfast sandwich inspired by the tastes of Stratford, Ont
Carl's Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich
- 4 slices fresh sourdough bread
- 4 slices wild boar ham
- 2 slices Monforte Dairy Toscano Cheese
- 2 free range eggs
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 field tomato, sliced and seasoned
- 2 leaves green leaf lettuce
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 Tbps beet relish (recipe to follow)
In a skillet on medium heat, toast the bread in a little butter on one side until golden brown. Remove from the pan and place toasted-side up on a cutting board.
Quickly warm the ham in the same pan on both sides. Fry the eggs in butter until over medium. Spread the mayonnaise on the top and bottom slices of bread (toasted-side only). Spread Beet relish on top side slices. Starting on the bottom slice, layer lettuce, tomato, egg, ham and cheese. Top with the top slice of toast, pick the sandwich and cut in half.
Makes two sandwiches.
- 3 cups (250 g) red beets, grated
- 1 shallot (50 g) , diced
- 1 clover garlic (7 g), minced
- 375 mL (325 g) white wine vinegar
- 150 mL (175 g) water
- 150 mL (200 g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon (3 g) dill seed
- 1/8 teaspoon (1 g) celery seed
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) salt
Place all ingredients in a medium size pot and stir. Bring to a boil on medium heat, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until syrupy thickness- approximately 45 min. Cool before using.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Carl Heinrich, Richmond Station.