Ultimate hangover food: Epic recipes for a hangover cure
Published Friday, September 13, 2013 6:59AM EDT
Last Updated Friday, September 13, 2013 7:30PM EDT
Whether it's "hair of the dog" or carbs to calm their stomachs Executive Chef Collin Thornton from the Fairmont Royal York has created the ultimate hangover menu.
The Royal York Triple Pepper Caesar
First off the whole story of this drink was finding the perfect spice balance for a caesar, hence the three peppers. We all know that most places just throw in some Tabasco, which is a very spicy heat but without much depth or flavour.
We chose these three peppers (chipotle, cayenne and black peppercorn) as each adds a different dimension of depth, heat and richness to the blend, we then round it out with cumin, garlic, and celery bitters before mixing with Worcester sauce for the perfect caesar mix.
- Crush the spices with a mortar & pestle
- If you pop in;
- Pinch of garlic salt
- Pinch of Himalayan pink sea salt
- Touch of cumin
- Pinch of dried chipotle chili
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 black peppercorns
- Crush all together then drop into your shaker
- Add a good dash or two of worcester sauce and a wee dash of celery bitters.
- Add a dash of fresh lime juice
- Healthy amount of ketel one vodka (1.5oz)
- Clamato juice
Throw the drink twice over ice and serve up in a chilled highball glass, garnish with celery stalk and lime wedge, chili if you have it. Done!
Crispy Ontario Peameal Bacon French Toast Sandwich
Vine ripened tomato, aged Ontario cheddar sandwiched between crispy corn flake french toast.
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 3 vine ripened tomatoes (sliced)
- 16 peameal bacon slices
- 8 slices of aged Ontario cheddar cheese
- 4 whole eggs
- ¼ cup 2% milk
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1/8 vanilla bean
2 cups of crushed corn flakes
- Combine egg wash ingredients in bowl and whisk vigorously
- Build sandwich by layering ingredients in between bread slices
- Dip outside of bread in egg wash mixture
- Dip bread into corn flakes
- Grill sandwich in pan over med high heat until golden brown on both sides
Niagara Peach, Strawberry and Banana Power Smoothie
- 4 Niagara peaches (pitted)
- 3 banana's (peeled)
- 8 strawberries
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ cup protein powder
Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Pour and enjoy!
Fairmont Royal York's Executive Chef Collin Thornton
The Fairmont Royal York's Executive Chef Collin Thornton is at the helm of Canada's largest hotel kitchen. His culinary career of nearly 20 years has spanned from the Atlantic to the Pacific Ocean with several stops in-between. From the kitchen he ensures that Fairmont's award-winning menus offer guests healthful and delicious items that highlight organic products, VQA wines, sustainable Ocean Wise seafood and local purveyors. The hotel's on-site roof-top herb garden and apiary are natural extensions of his interest in sustainable food sourcing and purchasing. Thornton continues The Fairmont Royal York's reputation for innovation and quality and infuses it with premium regional elements.
- The one kitchen tool you couldn't live without - Robout Coupe (super amazing food processor)
- The one thing that's always in your fridge - Fine Cheeses
- The best meal you've ever eaten - Le Cirque 2000, New York