Scottish Cooking: Venison Collops with Clapshot
Published Monday, April 8, 2013 8:24AM EDT
Last Updated Monday, April 8, 2013 11:38AM EDT
Venison Collops with Clapshot
- Scottish venison loin (or any protein fillet)
- (cut into slices ½ inch thick , 2 slices per person)
- medium or steel cut oatmeal
- breadcrumbs (panko will do)
- plain flour
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Mix some of the oatmeal with the breadcrumbs (about 1 part oatmeal to 3 parts crumbs) and place in a plate or bowl. In 2 more plates have the flour and egg. Lightly coat slice of beef in firstly the flour, then egg and finally the breadcrumb mix. Continue with the other slices until they are all coated.
- Heat a non stick frying pan on a medium heat and begin to fry the collops in a little oil (canola) until golden brown , then turn and repeat. Remove from the pan, drain on a little kitchen paper and set aside in a warm place.
- 1 lb. of baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ¾ lb turnips, peeled and cubed
- ¼ ln carrots, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Chopped chives
Boil the potatoes in a pot with well-seasoned water until tender (20-25 minutes). In a separate pot put the turnips, carrots and onions in well-seasoned water and boil until tender (25-30 minutes). Drain potatoes and vegetables and mash it all up with salt, butter, heavy cream and chopped chives.