Nov. 28: Christmas Morning Wife Saver
Published Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:01AM EST
Last Updated Friday, November 30, 2012 1:48PM EST
We wondered: Could we adapt this forever favourite to the slow cooker? Yes, and it really works!
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil (15 ml)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 12 Cups cubed white bread (3 L)
- 1 1/2 Cups diced ham (375 ml)
- 2 1/2 Cups shredded sharp old cheddar cheese, divided (625 ml)
- ½ Cup grated parmesan cheese (125 ml)
- 8 eggs
- 4 Cups half-and-half (10%) cream (1L)
- 2 tsp dry mustard (10 ml)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (5 ml)
- ½ tsp salt (2 ml)
- ¼ tsp cayenne peppe (1 ml)
- ¼ cup butter (60 ml)
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs (250 ml)
- Grease the insert of a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and red pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to prepared slow cooker and stir in bread cubes, ham, 2 cups (500 ml) cheddar and parmesan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and cayenne.
- Pour over bread mixture and stir to combine, gently pushing bread down to submerge.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Transfer insert to slow cooker base.
- Cook on high for 2 to 2 ½ hours, until set and puffed. Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat butter over medium heat.
- Add bread crumbs and cook, stirring, until brown and crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool completely; set aside.
- Turn off slow cooker and sprinkle remaining cheddar over puffed strata.
- Cover and let stand for 10 minutes, until cheese melts.
- Sprinkle with reserved toasted bread crumbs and serve immediately. Serves 8.
Tip: The Christmas Morning Wife Saver will hold for up to 1 hour on the keep warm or buffet setting. Do not garnish with the toasted bread crumbs until you are ready to serve or they will lose their crispiness in the moist heat of the slow cooker.
Page 24 in the Best of Bridge Slow Cooker Cookbook.