How to Make Crispy Greens Mac and Cheese
Chef Andrew Farrell, 2 Doors Down
Published Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:09AM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:13AM EDT
Crispy Greens Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb (450 g) macaroni
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
- 4 cups (1 L) whole milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground nutmeg
- 7 cups (1.75 L) That Dutchman's Medium Gouda, grated
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) That Dutchman’s Smoked Gouda, grated
- 3 1/2 oz (100 g) That Dutchman’s Dragon’s Breath Blue, crumbled
- 2 cups (500 mL) kale, stemmed, torn
- 1 cup (250 mL) Brussels sprouts, shaved
- 1 cup (250 mL) broccoli florets, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) That Dutchman’s Old Growler Gouda, grated
- 1 cup (250 mL) Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter, melted
- Butter a 13˝ x 9˝ (3.5 L) baking dish.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni for half the time directed on package.
- Drain and cool under cold water; set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat; add onion and sauté for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in flour and cornstarch; cook, stirring until smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk and cream; cook, stirring until smooth and thickened, about 7 minutes.
- Add mustard, Worcestershire Sauce, hot sauce, pepper and nutmeg.
- Remove from heat; slowly stir in Medium and Smoked Gouda and Blue cheeses.
- Stir in macaroni.
- Pour into prepared dish; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a large bowl, toss together kale, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, oil, salt and pepper; spread evenly over a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until greens are wilted.
- In medium bowl, combine cheese, breadcrumbs and butter; stir in greens and sprinkle over macaroni.
- Place baking dish on rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Blue cheese, Smoked, Medium and Aged Gouda.