August 8, 2012: Bubble and Squeak
Published Wednesday, August 8, 2012 9:04AM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, August 8, 2012 9:06AM EDT
In keeping with the Olympics, Chef Corbin Tomaszeski whips up a traditional English breakfast featuring Bubble and Squeak.
Bubble and Squeak (Serves 4 – 6)
- 1 lb boiled, cooked Yukon gold Potatoes- skinned
- 1 1/2 oz. softened unsalted butter
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 oz bacon strips cut into small pieces
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped fine
- 1/2 lb raw brussels sprouts, cut into thin strips (shredded)
- 1-2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp butter
Mash the boiled potatoes with a fork in a medium sized bowl. Add the softened butter and season with salt and butter. Set aside.
In a pre-heated sauté pan, sauté the bacon strips with the shredded brussels sprouts until crispy. Remove from heat and add scallions. Add the cooked bacon mixture to the mashed potatoes and mix lightly.
Portion the potato mixture into one heaping tablespoon-sized portions and form into thin patties and cakes. Dredge the cakes in the flour and fry in butter in a pre-heated pan until crispy and golden brown. Remove from the pan and serve with your favourite side dishes.