August 23, 2012: Tuna Ceviche
Published Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:33AM EDT
Chef David Hawksworth received numerous accolades at Vancouver’s Magazine Restaurant Awards in 2012, including Chef of the Year. Now Hawksworth shows Canadian foodies how to prepare a delicious tuna ceviche full of West Coast flavour.
TUNA CEVICHE, CRISPY AMARANTH, PECAN, AVOCADO, CILANTRO
- 10 oz Tuna diced .5" squares
- 80 grams Brunoise red onion
- 30 grams sliced scallion
- 1 tsp minced Thai chili amaranth (fried at 350 F, or 175 C, until golden brown)
- 250 mL avocado mousse (*see recipe below)
- 75 grams toasted pecans quarters
- 50 grams radish
- 400 mLl ceviche vinaigrette (*see recipe below)
- Cilantro to garnish
- 2 avocados (*pit and peel avocado and blend with ingredients until smooth)
- Juice of one lemon,
- Salt to taste
- 30 mL olive oil
- 250 mL lime juice
- 50 mL sugar
- 50 mL water
- 50 mL soy
- 1 shallot
- 1 Thai chili
- 1 garlic clove
- .5 bunch of cilantro
*Combine all and allow to steep for four hours. Strain and reserve.
Make the ceviche vinaigrette and let steep for 4 hours.
Make the avocado mousse and chill.
To finish the dish, marinate the tuna with the red onion, scallion, chili and a few
spoonfuls of the ceviche vinaigrette for three minutes. Season to taste.
Place the tuna in the middle of the plate and pour the amaranth around. Dot the tuna with the avocado mousse, about 5 to 7 drops. Place the pecans on top and garnish with sliced radish and cilantro. Serves 4.