August 16, 2012: Bison Roast and Cranberry Relish
Published Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:13AM EDT
Air North Chef Michael Bock whips up a tasty bison roast and cranberry relish that can be easily prepared for any summer party.
Cranberry Relish (Serves 6)
- 1/2 cup (4 fl oz/125 mL) orange juice
- 1/2 cup (4 fl oz/125 mL) raspberry or other fruit vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups (12 oz/375 g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 fl oz/125 mL) honey
- 1 cup (8 oz/250 g) minced Spanish onion
- 6 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 cup (8 oz/250 g) minced yellow or green pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 6 whole cloves
- 1tablespoon whole coriander seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red chili flakes (optional)
- 4 cups (12 oz/375 g) fresh or frozen cranberries
Combine the juice, vinegar, sugar, honey, onion and garlic to a simmer in a medium non-aluminum saucepot. Add the peppers, ginger, and spices, and simmer for five minutes. Add the cranberries, bring to a slow boil, and gently cook for 10 minutes or until the berries begin to pop, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Let cool. Remove cloves before serving. The relish will keep in the refrigerator for up to three weeks.
Yields 5 cups (42 fl oz.1.2 liters)
Coffee Cardamon Rub (Serves 8 to 10)
- 1/2 cup good quality medium ground coffee
- 1/2 cup course sea salt
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1/4 cup minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil -- reserve for searing meat
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Store in an airtight container.
Yields 2 cups
- 1 - 4 lb Boneless Strip loin or Tenderloin Roast. Trim the roast well before applying the Rub Mixture.
Preheat your oven to 160C (325F)
Rub spice mixture on all sides of the roast. If you have time wrap the roast with plastic wrap and allow it to sit for 15 minutes or longer at room temperature.
Using a 10-inch cast iron or heavy skillet on the stove top, heat to medium-high and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place the roast in the pan and flip with tongs and cook for 30 seconds on each side. Remove from skillet and put in the oven, cook for 45 minutes to one hour depending on your desired doneness.
Transfer the roast to a wooden cutting board and allow resting for 15 minutes before slicing it.
Serve with cranberry relish and serve with crostinis.