July 6, 2012: Angel Cake with Strawberries and Citrus Cream
Published Friday, July 6, 2012 9:47AM EDT
Last Updated Friday, July 6, 2012 9:49AM EDT
Forget about cooking steak, chicken and ribs on the barbecue. Chef Nicole Young shares some unusual recipes to whip up on the barbecue this summer.
Angel Cake with Strawberries & Citrus Cream
Naturally luscious whipped cream spiked with fresh-tasting citrus dresses up Angel Food cake and strawberries with ease. Toasting the cake enhances the flavour and texture.
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 2 - 4 minutes
Yields 6 servings
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35 per cent whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) icing sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated orange zest
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- 12 slices of Angel Food cake, each 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced fresh strawberries
- 6 orange zest (optional), julienned
Instruction In a chilled bowl, whip cream until thick. Beat in icing sugar just until soft peaks. Beat in orange and lemon zest and vanilla just until stiff peaks. (Cream can be covered and refrigerated for up to eight hours. Whisk lightly before serving).
Preheat broiler. Place cake slices on a baking sheet. Toast under the broiler or on the barbecue, turning once and rotating baking sheet as necessary, for one to 2 minutes per side or just until golden.
Place one slice of cake on each serving plate. Top with a dollop of the whipped cream; spoon strawberries on top. Top with another slice of cake, remaining cream and then strawberries. Garnish with strips of orange zest, if desired.
Use a store-bought cake or one made from your favourite recipe. Extra Angel Food cake freezes well for up to three months so you can have it on hand to make this dessert any time.
- Per serving
- Energy: 308 Calories
- Protein: 4 g
- Carbohydrate: 40 g
- Fat: 15 g
- Fibre: 2 g
- Sodium: 435 mg
Top 5 nutrients provided by a serving of this recipe
- Nutrient (% DV)*
- Calcium: 10 per cent / 114 mg
- Vitamin C: 56 per cent
- Riboflavin: 21 per cent
- Phosphorus: 20 per cent
- Vitamin A: 16 per cent
* Note: The daily value (DV) is established by Health Canada and corresponds to the daily quantity recommended for each nutrient. The percentage of the daily value (per cent DV) indicates the proportion of the nutrient provided by a serving of the recipe, in comparison with the quantity recommended.
Grilled Butter Chicken Pizza
Want to have Indian and Italian on the same night? This fun recipe combines two classic dishes into one simple and delicious meal. Grilling the prepared pizza dough gives the crust a great, crisp texture that provides a perfect balance with the creamy sauce.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 to 40 minutes
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter or Ghee
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) garam masala
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream
- 1 lb (454 g) pizza dough
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Canadian Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cilantro leaves
In a large non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often for about 10 minutes or until golden. Add garlic, tomato paste, garam masala, ginger, cinnamon and cayenne and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in diced tomatoes, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan; cook, stirring often for five to 10 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and sauce is thick. Whisk in cream until smooth and well combined; simmer for about 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in chicken. Remove from heat and set aside.
Preheat barbecue grill to medium heat.
On a lightly floured surface, stretch or roll dough to roughly 16- x 12-inch (40 x 30 cm) rectangle. Place on a baking sheet or cutting board. Brush top with olive oil. Flip dough, oiled side down onto preheated grill. Grill, covered, for three to six minutes or until bubbles form on top and grill marked underneath without charring. Flip over; grill, covered, for about 1 minute, just until surface is cooked but not browned. Remove from grill, sliding onto baking sheet with the oiled side down; reduce heat to medium-low.
Spread butter chicken evenly all over pizza. Sprinkle with cheese and green onions. Slide back onto grill, cover and grill for three to eight minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and underside is browned. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.
- Per serving (1/10 of recipe)
- Energy: 333 calories
- Protein: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Fat: 18 g
- Fibre: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 411 mg
Key nutrients provided by a serving:
Nutrient (per cent DV)
- Calcium: 11 per cent / 125 mg
- Niacin: 35 per cent
- Selenium: 32 per cent
- Folate: 25 per cent
- Vitamin C: 23 per cent