Karl Lohnes on cool outdoor gifts for Father's Day
Canada AM decor expert Karl Lohnes shared outdoor gift ideas for Father's Day on Canada AM, June 14, 2012.
Published Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:26PM EDT
Last Updated Friday, June 15, 2012 1:55PM EDT
Canada AM décor expert Karl Lohnes shares great outdoor gift ideas for a patio just in time for Father's Day.
Q: Where do you start when decorating a space for dad?
A: Think about how he enjoys his outdoor space. Is it entertaining friends? Is it having a morning coffee or reading after dinner? Also, take your cue from how your father lives inside his home. For example, does he have a reading corner? Does he retreat to his games table or music area to relax? If so, try and emulate that in the great outdoors.
Q: What are a few basic considerations when planning an outdoor space?
A: Try to keep the BBQ, garbage cans and gardening equipment out of sight. If you're working in a smaller space place these items to the sides of the yard rather than placing them front and centre. Plan your outdoor furnishings as you would inside the house. For example, create the conversation area, choose a focal point to enjoy and add comforts like lighting rugs, sights and sounds to enjoy the outdoor space.
Karl's outdoor gift ideas for Father's Day:
- Grey Textalene Outdoor Rug; easy-to-clean outdoor rug, can be even used indoors, $60.
- Canadian Tire Heritage Cooler; features Canadian Tire Heritage logo, $60.
- Magners Pear Cider; new to Canada, this summer flavoured cider from Ireland is available at wine and spirit shops.
- Cuisinart Beverage Centre; flat back design is perfect for a full flush fit against the wall, $260.
- Potted artificial topiary cedar balls; can be used indoors and out, $70.
- La-Z-Boy Griffin Outdoor Recliner; a comfortable outdoor recliner made of resin wicker with weather resistant cushions, $430.
- Thompson's Fabric Seal; prevents water damage, colour fading and repels spills and stains, $10 at home builder stores.
- Napoleon outdoor tabletop heater; keeps outdoor spaces cozy.
- Kamada Pro Charcoal BBQ Grill; Ceramic charcoal grill with 596 square inch total cooking surface (burger capacity, 25) and easy starter port for convenient lighting of charcoal, $800
- Autoglym Valet Detail Kit; Autoglym products hold a Royal Warrant, a mark of recognition from HM The Queen and HRH The Prince of Wales, $130.
- Salton Tabletop Ice Maker; produces ice cubes in 6 – 15 minutes, $200.
- Schwinn Tango foldable hybrid bicycle 20"; features a light-weight aluminum frame and easily folds and unfolds, $200.
For daily decor and trend updates, follow Karl Lohnes on Twitter.