Canadian Croque Madame and Mark Brands Chowder
Published Monday, January 21, 2013 8:15AM EST
Last Updated Monday, January 21, 2013 8:16AM EST
While cooking (breakfast sandwich and chowder), Chefs Mark Brand and Rodney Bowers talk about their 'token' program - buy a meal token at a reasonable price, hand it out to someone in need and the recipient can exchange it for food. Watch them in the video above.
Canadian Croque Madame:
- Peameal bacon and Canadian cheddar cheese grilled in a ciabatta
- Fried egg on top
Mark Brands Chowder:
- 2oz salt pork, finely minced
- 1tbsp butter
- 1 med onion( minced)
- 1 leek, white only,sliced fine
- 1 large carrot cut into a large dice
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 lb yellow potatoes, diced
- 1cup water or veg stock
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 of lemon
- 16 little neck clams steamed open, chopped, cleaned and their juices reserved or can of clams
In a heavy bottomed pot place the salt pork and cook over low medium heat to render all the fat.
Add the onions, celery ,carrots and leek and cook for 10 minutes with no color . add the butter and melt. Add the flour and stir to coat the vegetables creating a roux. Add the milk and stir well to avoid lumpsCook for 10 minutes at a strong simmer to thicken add the remaining stock , return to the simmer, and allow to cook for another 10 minutes on med without boiling . Add the clams, heat through and adjust the seasoning.
Finish with crackers and fresh chopped parsley and a light squeeze of lemon.